Screen Time Can Include:
• Watching television
• Being on a computer
• Tablet or smart phone
• Playing video games
Why Unplug & Connect To Arts and Culture
There is evidence that learning in, about, and through the arts contributes to children’s increased engagement in learning in other subject areas, and to the development of students’ self- confidence and social skills.
Studies show that children of all abilities and social classes benefit from out-of-school opportunities - including community arts programs, informal learning in the arts, and private instruction - and
from the positive influence of parental engagement in arts activities
Researchers report that arts learning fosters co-operative focused behaviour, encourages the development of fair- minded citizens and enhances a sense of connection with others.
Benefits To Connecting To Arts and Culture
• Creating art develops children’s problem solving and critical thinking skills. Every step involves making a decision: what colour to use, how to make a line, what size to make something.
• Teaching children to recognize the choices an artist or designer makes in portraying a subject helps kids understand the concept that there are many different interpretations of the world. This helps children become more culturally aware in an increasingly diverse society,
• Many of the motions involved in making art, such as holding a paintbrush or scribbling with a crayon, are essential to the growth of fine motor skills in young children.
Become A 'Screen Smart' Family
• Balance ‘screen time’ with ‘real time’. Choose activities that encourage connecting to arts and culture.
• Ideas to connect to arts and culture:
- Attend some of the free festivals available in your community
- Teach your children words in the native language(s) of your family. It is a personal way to introduce them to different cultures, as well as family history.
- Participate in different cultural events. Experiencing different cultures helps children see things from different perspectives.
- Have a wide variety of craft supplies easily accessible at home.
- Have a cleared off, large, flat surface where they can create.
- Pay attention when your children show you their works of art.